Aavid Genie Thermal Design Project Checklist
To optimize your heat sink design and thermal performance and to save time within the Aavid Genie applications, it is best to have as much information as possible before you begin designing. Below is a checklist of all the parameters and key considerations that you would need to properly develop and run thermal simulations for your custom heat sink.
If you do not have all of the information ready before you start using the Genie, that’s ok! Aavid Genie saves your progress through every step of the heat sink design process. If you need to come back to a project, all of your inputs will be saved and ready for you when you come back. You may also go back and change inputs as needed up until you choose to run a thermal simulation.
To get a better idea of how each of these inputs gets used in a project in Aavid Genie, watch the Project Tutorial.
[button url=”http://aavidgenie.com/heat-sink-design-tutorial/” target=”blank” text=”Watch the Project tutorial”]
- Available Volume (Working Envelope) for your heat sink (Length, Width, and Height)
- Total Heat Load across all devices
- Size and Placement of Devices on the Base of your Heat Sink
- Environmental Temperature and Altitude
- Maximum Heat Sink Base Temperature or Heat Sink Thermal Resistance
- Maximum Allowable Pressure Drop or Flow Rate
- Consider if you will be using Natural or Forced Convection – Genie will give options to help you decide
- Consider if there are any heat sink fabrication types or materials that will not work for your application
If at any point in the process, you require thermal design assistance, Aavid Engineers are available to help. Share custom heat sink designs and questions with Aavid directly through the app (can only be done post-simulation) or email email@example.com.